Window Rock Trail, Window Rock Trailhead - Saddlehorn Campground, Colorado National Monument, Colorado
Window Rock Trail - 0.5 miles
Window Rock Trailhead - Saddlehorn Campground
(GPS: N39 6.332 W108 43.568)
|Round-Trip Length:||0.5 miles|
|Start-End Elevation:||5,730' - 5,682'|
|Elevation Change:||-48' net elevation loss|
Window Rock Trail - 0.5 Miles Round-Trip
Located within the Saddlehorn Campground and a stone's throw from the Visitor's Center, the Window Rock Trail is an easy trail which leads to terrific views of Monument and Wedding Canyons. Also visible from the overlook is Window Rock, a natural widening crack in the Wingate sandstone formed by pounding erosive forces.
The Window Rock Trail, like the Canyon Rim Trail, stands on a ledge of Kayenta Sandstone, a more resistant form of this sedimentary rock. Deposited over 200 million years ago, the Kayenta layer is found throughout the park on top of the Wingate Sandstone layer, which forms the sheer high walls of Monument and Wedding Canyons.
Due to constant erosion, the official Window Trail is sometimes difficult to follow. However, since the area is open for exploration, the trail is almost unnecessary.
- The Window Trail and the Canyon Rim Trail can easily be linked for a longer hike.
- Pets are not permitted on any trail in Colorado National Monument. Never leave pets in your unattended vehicle, as high temperatures can kill pets within minutes. Violators of pet regulations are subject to very severe fines.
- Mountain bikes are not allowed on any trails in Colorado National Monument.
- Ask for an interpretive pamphlet at the Visitor's Center before heading out on the Window Rock or Canyon Rim Trails.
Camping and Backpacking Information
- Car camping at the Saddlehorn Campground is available on a first-come first-serve basis.
Directions to Trailhead
The Window Rock Trailhead is located on the far west side of the Saddlehorn Campground. The campground is adjacent to the Visitor's Center off of Rim Rock Road. From the west entrance, drive 4.4 miles on Rim Rock Road. Turn left just before the Visitor's Center into the Saddlehorn Campground and follow the signs for Window Rock.
East Entrance from Denver Grand Junction: Take Highway I-70 to Grand Junction, and take Exit 31 (Horizon Drive). Follow signs through Grand Junction to the east entrance.
West Entrance from Denver to Fruita: Take Highway I-70 to Exit 19 (Fruita) and go south on Highway 340 to the west entrance, which is approximately four miles from Fruita.
East Entrance From Utah to Grand Junction: Take Highway I-70 to Grand Junction, and take Exit 31 (Horizon Drive). Follow signs through Grand Junction to the east entrance.
West Entrance from Utah to Fruita: Take Highway I-70 to Exit 19 (Fruita) and go south on Highway 340 to the west entrance, which is approximately four miles from Fruita.
Colorado National Monument
Fruita, CO 81521-0001